Monday, March 28, 2016

Trinket Box


In today's lesson, I recreated a simplified version of a project I made in art school. My original box was very large and made from terra cotta clay. The Creative Paperclay version is very light, but still very durable, and only takes a fraction of the time to make. I hope you enjoy it!

Day One:
  1. I start by rolling out a slab of clay 1/4" thick.
  2. Cut out your desired shape for the base. I made a round box.
  3. From another slab of clay, cut a strip that will become the sides of the box.
  4. Fit the strip around the base to determine the length and trim accordingly.
  5. Using a serrated metal rib, score the edges to be joined. If you don't have this tool, you can use a needle tool or even an old fork.
  6. Add water to the scored edges and attach.
  7. Press the seams together.
  8. Roll out another slab of clay. This will be the lid of the box, but you can trim it to size later once it's dried.
  9. Allow to dry overnight or until completely dry.
Day Two:
  1. Sand everything smooth and trim and sand the box lid.
  2. Cover the box edge with a layer of aluminum foil and a piece of masking tape. (This prevents the new clay from sticking to the dried box as you make an edge for the lid.)
  3. Allow to dry overnight or until completely dry.
Day Three:
  1. Remove the foil and masking tape and check the fit of the lid.
  2. Sand the box if necessary to improve the fit.
  3. Use a craft knife to trim the edges of the lid.
  4. Sand everything lightly and add a coat of gesso (optional).
  5. Paint the box and allow to dry completely
  6. With a small brush, add areas of Paverpol in your desired pattern. (If you don't have Paverpol, you can use any white craft glue that dries clear.)
  7. Allow the Paverpol to dry.
  8. Add a handle to the lid. Small drawer pulls work nicely, but you could also use old jewelry, large beads, buttons... let your imagination guide you!






About Kerrie
I am a mixed media sculptor working primary in clay. Though clay is my passion, at the core, I'm simply a maker, a builder, a creator. Making things makes me happy.


I make videos about making things and post them on my channel KerrieLeeArt on YouTube and on my website KerrieLee.com.

1 comment:

SandeeNC said...

How cute, I love it!