Monday, May 25, 2015

Shari's Tip of the Month

Hi!
 Thanks for stopping by to view my tip of the month.

I was cleaning out my studio and came across some packaging from some metal keys I had purchased. I was ready to put it in the recycle bin when an idea struck me. I wonder if these flimsy plastic packaging molds could be used with Creative Paperclay? The answer was YES!!

I cleaned it with soap and water just to make sure there was not any reside from shipping on them.
I packed in the paperclay leaving it clean around the edges of the mold. I  found that leaving clay in the mold till it was slightly dry made it easier to remove. (The paperclay will shrink slightly as it dries leaving a space around your piece.)Once removed I laid them on my drying table to finish drying.


















This worked perfect! Now I will be looking at packaging a little differently on the products I purchase. What is even better than having a new mold? I am helping save the environment by reusing and re-purposing an item instead of just tossing or putting it in the recycle bin.

Shari

I have been creating art for as long as I can remember. I studied graphic design in Portland, Oregon before moving to Denton, Texas and putting all my focus on creating mixed media art. In addition to being on the Creative Paperclay design team, I am a contributor for the Robin's Nest Design Team, an article writer for Mixed Media Art, and an Outside Artist and blogger for DecoArt.
I strongly believe in giving back. I volunteer at Scrap Denton Creative Reuse Center where I teach workshops, art camps, and perform art demos. I am very passionate about mixed media art and enjoy helping and watching others discover their creativity.

2 comments:

Annmakes said...

Oh I love hoarding...hmmm I mean collecting those plastic packages as mould too! :) Great tip.

Xabi said...

bonito y buena idea
besos