Thursday, January 8, 2015

Add Depth to Your Painting

Starting the year with a narrative of freedom, taking flight and unlocking our personal cages in this piece, Set Me Free.  Affranchis (the letters on the bottom right) comes from the French meaning to liberate or free. The piece evolved from that concept.

Supplies
Collaged surface
Creative Paperclay®
Alphabet stamps
Cast lock
Lace
Red oxide & Burnt umber acrylic paint
Gold & Silver Rub


I started by taping off an area and laying Creative Paperclay® on to the surface. I then embossed it with lace and stamped with my alphabet stamps. I then removed the tape and the lace (which I glued back on later). 












When the first paper clay application dried I added more to make the shape and stamped with a liquid latex mold I had previously made. Then I cast a lock with the paper clay in a press mold from a previous project.

Sorry about the color changes. I took the photos at different times of day. The finished piece has accurate color.








Here is a detail of the cast vintage lock and the stamped paper clay that was painted red oxide then rubbed with both gold and silver rub.

May the new year give you wings to fly high and the key to open your heart to new experiences.

Darlene Olivia McElroy
darleneoliviamcelroy.com
darleneoliviamcelroy.comdarleneoliviamcelroy.com

No comments: