Monday, February 17, 2014

Let's Experiment! Tip #4 by LeeAnn Kress


Hi Everyone!

Welcome to the the Creative Paperclay® Blogsite!  Happy Monday!

Most of us are lucky enough to have today off ... me too!  So, since I am relaxing around the house, I decided to experiment with some paperclay.  This experiment is kinda off the cuff for me ... and I figured that I would share whether this experiment went good or bad.

I wanted to see if Creative Paperclay® could be made into something with the texture of frosting.  I have a wonderful faux frosting recipe that I came up with years ago, but I am always looking for new ways to incorporate the confections style/look in my art.  Why not with clay?

(All my comments will be below the picture I am referring to.)


So, I took some clay and put it in a plastic zip lock bag.


Next, I added a little water ... a little at a time.  I am looking for the consistency of frosting.  Seal your bag and squish it up really well.  Next time, I think I might try using my blender that is specifically for clay.  That would be better ... and faster too!  Try and get it really smooth, creamy, but not runny.


Here I am using a frosting tip and a cake decorator bag.  I tried using a tip at the bottom of a zip lock bag, but when I put pressure on the bag the tip kept ripping the zip lock and then the tip would fall out.  LOL!  That was a failure!  A frosting decorator bag was the answer as it is thicker and sturdy.  The tip stayed secure.  Yay!


I placed down a sheet of wax paper and started to squeeze out the clay through the tip.  Now, I am not a professional cake decorator ... far from it.  But, I am brave enough to try it out.


Here is my practice sheet of wax paper.  I am pretty happy with my first attempt.  I will definitely need more practice.  However, I can see those cute flowers painted up as they might make really cute embellishments.

The great thing about this, is if you don't like any of it, scoop it up and put it back in to the frosting bag and try again.  If you have left over clay, put the remainder in a container and make slip with it.  Slip fills in any cracks you might have with a project you are working on.  It is essential to have on standby.  A couple of our artists here on the Design Team have mentioned how to make slip on this blogsite.  If you have left over clay, slip is a good thing to make and easy too.  No clay goes to waste.

So, my tip for you this month is EXPERIMENT!!!    

If you have tried a new technique with Creative Paperclay®  (good or bad) leave a post here and tell us about it.  We would love to hear the good, and maybe the Design Team can help with any bad experiments.  We would love to help your experiments grow!

I hope you enjoyed my post.  If you have time stop by my blog at www.charmedconfections.com and say hello.  There you will find all my other creations in clay.

Until next time!  LeeAnn

5 comments:

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

Very cool!! I really struggle to do straight up experiments. I do love to "solve problems" though. I want this texture so I'll try this. whoops no good. What about this? It is quite liberating when you're willing to scrap something and try again.

Thanks muches! I bet this will lead somewhere really interesting. :)

Dianie said...

Fun tip and experiment LeeAnn! This is something I've always wondered when I've been making slip.
I decorated cakes professionally for 17 years and that looks darn GOOD and FUN!!!!You certainly got it down :)
I'm so glad you tried this.. I cant wait to play :)

hugs,
~Diane

Charmed Confections said...

Hi Susan! Glad you liked the tip. Yes, sometime experiment fail and other times they good, but most of the time you can tweak them to be great. I really like this experiment. They are drying nicely and I peel right off the wax paper. I have the flowers turned over now to dry. Now that the clay is dry on top, it stayed ruffly and cute. So I would say success! Yay! LeeAnn

Charmed Confections said...

Hi Diane, Glad you liked this. With your cake decorating background, you should give me lessons. If was quite fun. I have lot of decorating tips, but need to practice. Wouldn't it be great to be able to write in clay? You need to do a tutorial on that! Now that I have done this, I bet it can be done! Oh the possibilities!! Have fun and let me know how it goes? LeeAnn

dawnmercedes said...

oh what a grand idea!! love it!! Now I need to buy a decorator bag and tips! I'm kicking myself for throwing out an old one recently! Thanks!