Thursday, June 13, 2013

Tea Party or sTEAm party? by Rachel Whetzel

Rachel Whetzel here! While I was making my Mad Hatter doll recently, I had the idea to create something in a Mad Hatter THEME, with a Hat sitting on a tea cup using Creative Paperclay® modeling material.
 WHAT YOU WILL NEED
To start, I mixed Amazing Clear Cast Resin with brown dye, to make a "tea" in the cup I planned to use.  Be very careful!! A little bit of dye goes a VERY long way as you can see! I've nearly got COFFEE here! (It's not as dark as it looks in this picture in real life. I had a hard time getting a realistic shot.)
 Once the resin was set, I screwed a long screw into the resin as an anchor for my top hat.
Then I used the same technique I have shown in my Gnome and Egg projects, and wrapped a base for my hat around the screw with News Paper and masking tape.
Once the base was ready, I added Creative Paperclay® to the outside of the form to create a hat shape.
I let this dry, and then started adding layers to the piece to create the brim of the hat. This takes a few layers, with time for drying between each one. Once the hat was created, I sanded the piece, and painted it! Then I topped off my resin with one last layer.
I haven't decided if I'm going to add more to the hat or not... I really love the way it looks just like this, and now that I've got it this far, I'm debating on whether or not to add to the Mad Hatter theme, or to create a Steampunk look with it! I'm really thinking I'd like to take a Steam Punk angle... What do you think? Leave me a comment, and let me know what you think!! I would love for you to visit me at my "house" too!! Thank you so much for reading!!  ~rachel

4 comments:

Tamara Dozier said...

This is awesome!

Mrs Pretzel said...

Thanks, Ladies! I don't have to ask which direction Terri would vote for! I know she's a steampunk gal all the way! lol

Barbara Rankin said...

Way, way cool, Rachel. I love it.

dawnmercedes said...

I think it needs a bit of color in the band/or a flower/or a button/ or a feather...lol....I guess I just LOVE color. You are an amazing artist!