Friday, February 1, 2013

Texture Stamping with Delight TM

 
Hello! It's Rachel Whetzel! Today, I'm going to show you how I created texture stamping plates for using in my art work and art journaling! My creation was inspired by THIS POST from my fellow design team member, Jess. Instead of using a pre made texture, I thought it would be fun to make my own! As much as I ADORE  Creative Paperclay® modeling material, it dries hard. VERY hard. Which is GREAT when you're making virtually indestructible objects, and not so great when you need some flexibility. WHICH is where Delight TM air dry modeling compound swoops in to save the day. Delight compound dries as it's name implies, light. It also has a slight give to it's surface, and is a little bit flexible. Spongy is a good word. Because of those properties, I decided to create some plates for stamping texture onto my artwork and art journal pages.

SUPPLIES YOU'LL NEED:
Let's get started!! Begin by collecting some items from the house to create texture.
Get creative! Thick cardboard, old tape rolls...
bubble wrap, old keys, hinges,
even a mini round ice cube tray!
 Roll out your clay, and start pressing!!
I used the ice cube tray to "cut" my clay
check out the circles the tray made!
I found a lot of my items at the thrift store. I got the ice cube tray hoping it would make some cool imprints on the clay. I think it did.

One of the really great things about Delight TM is that it is slow to dry. Which makes it easy to take your time and experiment with your textures.
I also created some other texture plates, to play around with.
lace
This plate turned out to be my favorite. To use your plates, brush your acrylic paints over the plate, and press it onto your page. I used a few practice pages to get the hang of the modeling compound. It's flexible finish when it's dry, means it also has some give to it when you press it, so playing with it a bit before using it on my page helped me get used to that.
If you create something inspired by my project, please leave a comment with a link here, so I can come and visit to see! I would love for you to visit me at my "house" too!! Thank you so much for reading!!  ~rachel

2 comments: