Thursday, January 19, 2012

Feet to Fin by Edie

I collect fairies and other lady figurines and I am really starting to appreciate art dolls of all kinds, but I am not usually drawn to mermaids. They are beautiful and I love the way they look but I don't normally collect them. However, I am currently working on two different art courses that both heavily feature mermaids, so needless to say, I have been on a mermaid kick.

I have been collecting mermaidesque tid bits to use in upcoming paintings and journal pages and I even collected seashells on the beach while I was on vacation in San Diego to use in a painting I am planning.

This recently awakened mermaid obsession even inspired my Creative Paperclay® design team project for the month. I decided to alter a basic Barbie doll and turn her into an OOAK mermaid art doll and I *LOVE* the way she turned out! I like it so much, I will even be displaying her in the curio with my other favorite lady figurines :D





Be sure to watch the full tutorial in the video below, but here are the basics...

Start with any Barbie of your choice. Mine happened to have blue hair and her 'bathing suit' was plastic and made her body.


Using Creative Paperclay® air dry modeling material completely encase her legs to form a mermaid tail.


Create her fin using wire and fabric and insert it into the end of her tail


Add hair extensions made from inexpensive hair weave


Paint and embellish however you like. Viola'!!!!

I used two different kinds of Paperclay on this project. Her tail is made from Creative Paperclay® air dry modeling material and her seashell embellishments are made from Delight® air dry modeling material.

The Delight® has a puffier texture than the Creative Paperclay® which was perfect for this project. I suggest you try both products for yourself because they do feel very different and can be used together to create unique contrast on your projects.

To see more of my work visit my blog

Check back here on February 1, 2012 to join our blog hop "Love Cast in Clay" featuring Creative Paperclay® AND Amazing Mold Putty!!!! I have seen a sneak peek at a few of the projects that will be shown and I am super excited!!!!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and I would love to see what you create!

5 comments:

Debbie Buckland said...

awesome and magical. Thanks for doing the video too. it was fab to watch you work.

oh wow!

Jingle said...

Very cute!

Rachel OCrowley said...

I love it!!

Sandra Strait said...

Oh! How awesome!

Lyneen said...

She turned out beautiful!!!